Win Friends and Influence People
Oct 19th, 2010
There are lots of little things we can do to make ourselves better people and make a positive impression in our professional and personal lives. These 12 things don't require any formal education or cash, just a tiny bit of effort ...
- Offer a friendly, authentic smile -- It puts people at ease and makes you likable.
- Make comfortable eye contact -- It demonstrates confidence, respect and interest.
- Use people's names -- Everyone likes to hear and see his or her own name.
- Show your appreciation -- Say "thank you" to everyone who does something for you.
- Offer words of encouragement -- Often, it's all someone needs to take a big step.
- Accept responsibility when you're wrong -- It's the sign of a person with character.
- Maintain a positive mental attitude -- It's a choice that's 100% within your control.
- Stand up straight! -- Poor body posture is a sign of low self-esteem.
- Offer a proper handshake -- a good, firm one shows demonstrates confidence.
- Turn off your phone in meetings or business lunches.
- Speak with energy in your voice -- No one likes to be around dull, lifeless people.
- Congratulate your opponent -- Good sportsmanship is a sign of leadership skills.