Where to meet a nice guy
Apr 1st, 2009
WHERE NICE GIRLS CAN MEET NICE GUYS
- A Record Shop -- Say you like the Killers, and you see a cute guy who can't decide whether or not he should buy Hot Fuss. Sidle over, tell him what a great disc it is, then let the conversation flow from there. (Important note: Don't be afraid to approach a guy in this sort of situation. We dig being approached, especially if you're confident, cool, and witty about it.) If you want to increase the dating pool-and broaden your musical horizons-hit the jazz section. But if you don't see any interesting-looking possibilities in the jazz section, try checking out...
- A Jazz Club -- For the most part, jazz, especially the instrumental stuff, is "guy music," thus the boy/girl ratio in your typical jazz club-especially the higher-end places-is a solid two-to-one. Best contact method? Have a drink sent to his table. (Trust me, it works. At least... it worked on me.) But bear this in mind: Do it during the break. Most male jazz fans want to be left alone while basking in their "guy music."
- Electronics/Computer Store -- Boys like their toys. Thus, where there are toys, there are boys. If you really want to reel him in, ask him a question about a piece of equipment that you legitimately want to learn something about. Nothing makes us happier than pontificating about plasma televisions, X-Boxes, or motherboards.
- A Cafe -- Remember last Thursday at your local java emporium when you saw that cute, be-stubbled man hunched over his laptop, lost in his little laptopping world? You bet I do. Did you go talk to him? No. Why not? Well, he was lost in his little laptopping world. Well, maybe that was the case, but there's little doubt he could've been easily distracted. I mean, if he wanted to be left all alone in his little laptopping world, he'd have stayed home, right?
- A Thrift Store -- This one is for girls whose demographic range runs the gamut from cool starving artists to indie rocker dudes. Again, be confident and funny in your approach-like maybe grab an ugly, kitschy paisley button-down shirt, hold it up in front of him and say, "With the right pair of pants, I think you could make this work." And not only might you find a nice boy, but you might stumble onto a once-worn, mint-condition Vera Wang cocktail dress that's being sold for $15. Hey, you never know...
- A High-End Department Store -- This one is for women who're looking for a more refined fella. A good way to break the ice is to offer up a sartorial suggestion, but here's an vital caveat: No negativity. You won't win his heart by saying, "That pinstriped suit is heinous." Try something more along the lines of, "That non-pinstriped suit would look amazing on you."
A Health-Food Place -- Step into one of these joints and you'll have your pick of workout boys, or crunchy-granola boys, or hippie boys, or regular boys who're simply concerned about what's going into their bodies. And this isn't even taking into account the wide selection of protein bars, which offers you a great conversational gambit ("Excuse me, which one of these do you think is best? Oh yeah, and which flavor?")