Dec 2nd, 2009
Loved ones who are planning funerals today are opting for rock music and electric guitar riffs, according to a poll conducted by a British funeral company called Funeralcare. The trend to choose popular tunes over classical music at funerals has been growing since the 1960s. So instead of "Abide With Me," the congregation will stand and join in a rousing version of AC/DC's "Highway to Hell."
The top five most popular songs played at funerals:
- "My Way," by Frank Sinatra/Shirley Bassey
- "Wind Beneath My Wings," by Bette Midler/Celine Dion
- "Time to Say Goodbye," by Sarah Brightman/Andrea Bocelli
- "Angels," by Robbie Williams
- "Over the Rainbow," by Eva Cassidy
The top five most popular hymns played at funerals:
- "The Lord Is My Shepherd"
- "Abide With Me"
- "All Things Bright and Beautiful"
- "Old Rugged Cross"
- "Amazing Grace"